<span class="highlight">solar</span> <span class="highlight">panel</span> question

Hi All : can you wire up a solar panel to the cars battery at the same time that the car is charging it ?

thanks nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Saturday, Oct 22, 2011 at 20:48

Saturday, Oct 22, 2011 at 20:48
Hi Nick

The simple answer is yes. But you should always run solar panels through a regulator or you can ruin you battery.

I have had a solar panel on my roof that is charging my auxillary battery under the bonnet at the same time as my car engine recharges my battery. I believe both charging systems have one way diodes so current will not go to the wrong place.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 468362

Reply By: rumpig - Saturday, Oct 22, 2011 at 21:34

Saturday, Oct 22, 2011 at 21:34
Whilst this question is being asked......i have an 80 watt solar panel mounted on my roofrack, i have a regulator mounted in the back of my fourby that runs through a fused wire straight to the second batery. i have another lead with anderson plugs each end that connects the solar panel to the regulator but this is just temporary, eventually the wire will run straight to the regulator full time without anderson plugs attached.
my question is, should that fused wire running to my second battery be run through my dual battery controller somehow? my main concern is with possibly overcharging the battery. i reckon the 80 ltr fridge in the back will draw more power then the 80 watt panel will be putting in, but with the car alternator charging that battery aswell when i'm driving, i do wonder if it will ever get over charged.
AnswerID: 468364

Follow Up By: roger ramjet - Saturday, Oct 22, 2011 at 22:30

Saturday, Oct 22, 2011 at 22:30
Hi rumpig - great handle, should I be amused or disgusted? :-)

There are some highly experienced sparkies on this site who will give you great detail (or you could search the threads) but I think you answered your own q.

You have a solar regulator? - it will go into 'float' mode and put minimal charge to the battery when it reaches the threshold voltage. You might want to check what the specs for your regulator are - different amp , voltage and float for wet cell v gel etc.
Also you have a dual battery controller - it will do the same thing. Running the solar through the battery controller may not be the most efficient/best use of the panel - without specs I couldn't say.
Short story long - you wont overcharge your battery if the regulators are correct.
Only other tip is make sure your solar regulator is one-way otherwise you 'trickle' some power back out to the panel when the sun goes down. (Most are these days)
Wait for one of the smart blokes here to reply who will give you all the lowdown.

cheers
ramjet
FollowupID: 742613

Follow Up By: rumpig - Sunday, Oct 23, 2011 at 10:38

Sunday, Oct 23, 2011 at 10:38
cheers ramjet,
the way i thought a regualtor works, was just to keep the current coming out of the solar panel at a certain range of voltage, i'll have to research the actual product i have installed, to see about the "float" mode you are mentioning.
thanks for your help
FollowupID: 742638

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Oct 23, 2011 at 07:50

Sunday, Oct 23, 2011 at 07:50
Nick,

You can charge your battery from solar and the alternator with both connected at the same time. You MUST have a solar regulator to prevent overcharging, best mounted close to the battery rather than near the panel. You must also have a controller up front to disconnect your auxilliary battery from the main battery when the alternator isn't running. Note that the connection to the battery should be fused right at the battery.

Rumpig - You do not need to run the solar charging current through the controller used to disconnect the aux battery from the main battery/alternator. The solar panel should be connected through a solar regulator to the charging line coming from that controller to the aux battery. This line should be fused right at the aux battery.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 468376

Follow Up By: rumpig - Sunday, Oct 23, 2011 at 10:35

Sunday, Oct 23, 2011 at 10:35
Hi John,
my set up is as you have described in your second sentence, the fuse is right at the battery though the regulator is at the rear of the vehicle as i couldn't find a suitable location for it under the bonnet. the only reason it has the cable with anderson plugs from the regulator to the solar panel, was i didn't have time to run the wiring properly before i went away on a 5 week holiday recently, it was a last minute addition on the roofrack.
cheers.
FollowupID: 742636

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Oct 23, 2011 at 12:21

Sunday, Oct 23, 2011 at 12:21
Rumpig - There is advantage in having the solar regulator close to the battery, rather than at the panel. Having battery and regulator separated is no big deal, especially if you've used heavy cable. It's a preference, not a "must do". Your present anderson plug arrangement has the advantage that you can set the panel up on the ground to get optimum sun angle - I use just that arrangement myself.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 742648

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Oct 23, 2011 at 12:25

Sunday, Oct 23, 2011 at 12:25
Nick,

Sorry - I misread your post. My comments above are equally valid where you aren't using an auxilliary battery, just charging the vehicle's own battery with both solar and alternator. No problem using them together, provided you have a solar regulator.

Cheers

John
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 742649

Reply By: Member - nick b - Sunday, Oct 23, 2011 at 09:35

Sunday, Oct 23, 2011 at 09:35
Thanks all for your reply's most helpful
cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

AnswerID: 468380

Follow Up By: Battery Value Pty Ltd - Sunday, Oct 23, 2011 at 23:38

Sunday, Oct 23, 2011 at 23:38
Hi Nick,

in a stock standard dual battery setup it doesn't make sense to have the solar panel wired to the battery (with or without regulator) during alternator charging.
That's because the battery voltage is limited by the alternator voltage setting.
Meaning that even though the solar regulator might want to push the battery voltage higher, it can't go higher because then the alternator would reduce its output current.
In order for the battery voltage to go higher in this scenario, the panel/regulator would have to be powerful enough to supply all running 12V loads of the vehicle.
Only an open ignition switch and/or isolation switch enables the battery voltage to go higher because then the solar current can only flow through the battery (and any loads connected to it directly/or through the solar controller).

But there's a technical solution which allows the battery voltage to increase beyond the alternator voltage during cruising, by means of solar charging current.
This involves wiring in series a special diode which allows bulk charging from the alternator, but prevents solar current from flowing through the vehicle's electrics, thus the battery voltage can rise to whatever level the solar regulator pushes it, while the alternator spins.

If you need details, just PM me.
cheers, Peter
FollowupID: 742696

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Monday, Oct 24, 2011 at 12:53

Monday, Oct 24, 2011 at 12:53
Thank again to all for your reply's , Q could a solar panel fully charge a battery in the camper trailer instead of having a 12volt battery charger ?

cheers
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 742713

Sponsored Links